Many people think that digital art always composed of pixels, or small squares of color, called raster art. There is another type of digital art, though, that is popular with artists and designers called vector art. A vector is an image file that uses mathematical curves instead of pixels. This type of image can be enlarged without the image becoming distorted.
To make a drawing into a vector, the drawing has to be created on a vector background.
Do not make a drawing on paper, scan it and save it as an EPS file. This will not make it a vector file. Only digital drawings made on a vector background are vectors.
To make a vector drawing, use these steps:
- Open your illustration software and click on the File menu.
- Select the “New” or “New Project” option.
- Click on the “Vector Background” option and press “OK.”
- Draw your drawing onto the vector background.
- Save your file as a vector type file by selecting EPS from the “Save As Type” drop-down menu.
- You can have vector layers and raster images in the same file.